Thursday, January 10, 2008

Follow the crowd: 4 travel secrets of the herd

MSNBC reports:

Sometimes, the mob knows best.

I reached this unlikely conclusion after years of listening to my colleagues telling everyone to go against the grain. They sent us to ski resorts in the summer and to the beach during the winter. They told us to fly the red-eye and take the repositioning cruise. And I think they’re sending many of us down the wrong road.

Now, before I go any further, let me admit that I’ve done it, too. I never stopped to question the wisdom of being a contrarian and dispensed the same advice that I now think is utterly misguided. So, travel experts out there who want to flame me, save your keystrokes. I’ll do it for you.

Here are four times when you should go with the flow, and when the herd knows best:

When you’re visiting family for the holidays:

Ask travel experts how to have a trouble-free trip around he holidays, and they’re quick to offer the following advice: schedule your flight on the actual holiday, like Christmas Day, when everyone is opening presents, or New Years Day, when half the world is hung over. The roads are quiet and the flights are flying practically empty.

No comments: